Friday, July 07, 2006

Beginning of the End

Today is the beginning of the end. I taught my last class, and left my community of El Paraiso for the metropolis (it´s all relative) of Otavalo where I finally have a chance to access the internet after three weeks without it. It was a pretty amazing experience overall. I´ll describe it more when I have more time (and the internet is free), but I thought I´d make a quick list of things I will miss (and not miss).

Things I will miss:
The kids
The slow pace of life
Fresh squeezed juices (including tomato juice that tastes like orange juice)
Lots of food (yes, they eat LOTS of food here, and this is coming from my appetite)
The great views from everywhere
Fresh food
Clothes that are dried on a clothesline in the sun

Things I will not miss:
Getting sick
The same starchy food everyday (though I think I´ve gotten rather used to it)
How they put too much panela (raw cane sugar) in the coffee
How they fry everything in Crisco (though this is another things I´ve gotten rather used to)
Waking up to roosters every morning (again, another thing I´ve gotten rather used to)

It´s kind of hard to think of many negatives since right now, and I think it´ll be harder to think of them the more removed I am from this place. I remember there were a lot of things that I found inconvenient when I first arrived, but I got rather used to them now that I almost forget about them. There are definitely more positives that I will appreciate when I get back to the States as well. I´ll have more to say later. Ciao!

No comments: